Student Visa

Student Visa

The study permit is a document that allows international students to study in Canada at designated learning institutions (DLIs). To study in Canada, the majority of foreign nationals require a study permit. In most cases, you must apply for a study permission before entering Canada. From within Canada, some people can apply for a study permit. In some situations, you can apply at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada, which includes: o eligible to apply for a study permit on entry, o exempt from requiring a study permit, o eligible to apply for a study permit after entry,

Apply for student visa/permit from outside of Canada

A study permit is not the same as a visa. It does not allow entering into Canada. A visiting visa or an electronic travel permit may also be required (eTA). If your study permit is approved, you will receive a visa along with your study permission.

Acceptance Letters
When submitting your study permit application, you’ll need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) that you’ll be attending.

You must have a valid certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) or a letter of acceptance for your CAQ if you wish to study in Quebec.


Apply for student visa/permit from Inside of Canada

Only a few people are eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada. If you are now in Canada and one of the following scenarios applies to you:

  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner, or parent possesses a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child and a primary or secondary school student.
  • whether you’re a visiting student or an exchange student.
  • you completed a short-term course or study program that was required for admission to a DLI.
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more.
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate, and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative
    • you’re a refugee claimant in Canada or a family member of a refugee claimant in Canada


Who can apply at a POE?

  • national or permanent resident of the United States (U.S.,
  • person who has lawfully been admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence,
  • resident of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Student Direct Stream

Residents of certain countries can apply through the “Student Direct Stream” to receive faster processing.
You can check the other qualifying requirements given below if you are a legal resident of one of the following countries:
o be a legal resident living in 1 of the following countries:

o Antigua and Barbuda
o Brazil
o China
o Colombia
o Costa Rica
o India
o Morocco
o Pakistan
o Peru
o Philippines
o Senegal
o Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
o Trinidad and Tobago
o Vietnam

Documents you need to apply through SDS

  • have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
  • live outside of Canada when you apply
  • have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study
  • have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000
  • if you’re planning to study in Quebec you need to have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
  • get a medical exam before you apply (if you need one)
  • get a police certificate before you apply (if you need one)
  • have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
  • have a language test result that shows either:
    • an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking, and listening), or
    • a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
  • Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you include all the documents required by the visa office that processes your application.

Please note that you must be a resident of one of the following countries to be eligible for this stream; if you are a citizen but live outside of these countries, you should apply for a regular study permit.


Extend your study permit (Study permit Renewals)

Your study permit’s expiry date indicates when you must finish studying and leave Canada. You’ll need to extend your study permission if you wish to continue studying. If you want to continue studying in Canada, you must apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your current study permit expires.
If your study permit expires and you wish to continue studying in Canada, you’ll need to apply for a new one.

  • for a new study permit
  • to restore your status as a temporary resident

If you want to stay in Canada but you’re no longer studying:

  • If you finished your studies and are eligible, you can apply for a work permit.
  • seek for a change of status and stay in Canada as a visitor; or
  • you must leave Canada if your study permit expires, and you have not asked for a renewal.

Useful Links

مشاوره مهاجرتی رویان